Full Day Tuition-Free Questions & Answers
Q: Where may I obtain an application?
A: Application for enrollment will be available online on the Duncanville ISD Website www.duncanvilleisd.org, click Pre-K Registration, then click on Enroll Here. Once you have accessed the online application, be sure to choose the 2020-2021 school year.
Q: What documents are required for placement into the PK program?
A: A completed online application, child’s birth certificate, immunization record, social security card is optional, copy of parent(s’) driver’s license, and proof of residency. (Either a current utility bill or mortgage/lease agreement with name and address of parent or legal guardian. Phone bills will not be accepted.) Only completed online applications will be eligible for enrollment.
Q: What schools will offer this tuition-free full day program?
A: All Duncanville ISD Elementary Campuses will offer full day Pre-K for 2020-2021
Q: Who is eligible for this tuition-free full day program?
A: Any student who is at least 4 years old by September 1, 2020 and meets one of the following general prekindergarten eligibility requirements:
- Be unable to speak and comprehend the English language
- Be educationally disadvantaged, which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program
- Be homeless, as defined by 42 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child
- Be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- Be in, or have been in, the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002; a firefighter under Section 3106.003; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code
Q: When is enrollment for the Full Day Tuition-Free PK Program for 2020-2021?
A: Pre-K Roundup is scheduled for April 18 and April 20-21. After these dates, contact the Department of Early Childhood at 972-708-2075.
Q: What are school day hours?
A: Regular school hours are 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Q: How early can I drop my child off?
A: Doors open at 7:30 a.m. for breakfast.
Q: Does attendance matter?
A: The Compulsory Attendance laws contained in the Texas Education Code (TEC) do not require a parent to enroll his or her child in prekindergarten or kindergarten. However, once the parent voluntarily enrolls his or her child, the parent and child must follow Texas’ Compulsory Attendance laws found in TEC §25.085(c). Additional information regarding attendance requirements can be found in the Duncanville ISD Code of Conduct.
Q: Is transportation provided?
A: Duncanville ISD will not provide transportation for PK programs.
Q: Are meals provided?
A: Breakfast is free and lunch can be purchased for an additional fee or your child may bring a sack lunch. Parents are welcome to send a nutritious snack for snack time.
Q: What are the meal prices?
A: The current meal pricing this school year is- Breakfast: FREE for ALL students Lunch: $3.00 for students who have not completed a Free or Reduced Lunch
application or who do not qualify. These prices are subject to change for the 2020-2021 school year.
Q: Does my child have to eat lunch at school?
A: Yes, lunch is built into their schedule
Q: Can my child bring his/her own breakfast/lunch to the cafeteria?
A: Yes, however, the staff cannot heat food for them.
Q: Are snacks provided?
A: No, however, students will have a snack time, and can bring a healthy snack from home.
Q: What curriculum will be used?
A: The PK program provides a detailed outline of knowledge and skills young children need in order to build a solid foundation for later learning. A complete version of the Texas State Prekindergarten Guidelines can be found at http://tea.texas.gov/pkg.aspx.
Q: Will my child receive a report card?
A: Yes, students will receive a report card each nine weeks.
Q: How many students will be in the class?
A: The prekindergarten program can have up to 22 children with a full-time certified teacher and teacher’s assistant.
Q: I am an employee, but I live outside of the Duncanville ISD district. Can I enroll my child?
A: Yes, you will need to complete an employee transfer request in addition to the enrollment packet to be eligible.
Q: What happens if my child soils his/her clothes or has an “accident?
A: We require that each student keep an extra set of clothes at school in the event of an accident.
Q: My child has special needs. Will those be addressed through this program?
A: This is not a program designed specifically for students with special needs. Children who have disabilities may attend a regular PK setting if eligible and an Admission Review Decision (ARD) committee determines that his or her needs can be appropriately met. Many children with special needs may be better served through other placements in early childhood programs. All decisions regarding children with disabilities will be made through the ARD committee process. If you have specific questions related to Special Education services, please contact Mackenzie Casall, Director of Special Education at (972) 708-2061.
Due to the differing needs of preschoolers, some students will be learning things for the first time while others may be more advanced. ALL students, however, will be provided instruction that is tailored to their needs to make sure they are prepared for Kindergarten according to the Prekindergarten Guidelines.